Hass.io images are available for:
- Download the appropriate image for your device:
- As Virtual Appliance:
Please remember to ensure you’re using an appropriate power supply with your Pi. Mobile chargers may not be suitable since some were only designed to provide just enough power to the device it was designed for by the manufacturer.
Flash the downloaded image to an SD card using Etcher.
- Optional - Setup the WiFi or static IP: On a USB stick, create the
network/my-networkfile and follow the HassOS howto.
- Insert the SD card (and optional USB stick) into the Raspberry Pi and turn it on. On first boot, it downloads the latest version of Home Assistant which takes ~20 minutes (slower/faster depending on the platform).
- You will be able to reach your installation at http://hassio.local:8123.
- Enable either the Samba add-on or the SSH add-on to manage your configuration in
/config/(From the UI choose Hass.io which is located in the sidebar).
If your router doesn’t support mDNS, then you’ll have to use the IP address of your Pi instead of
hassio.local. For example,
http://192.168.0.9:8123. You should be able to find the IP address of your Pi from the admin interface of your router.
If you copy over your existing Home Assistant configuration, make sure to enable the Hass.io panel by adding either
hassio: to your configuration.
For advanced users, it is also possible to try Hass.io on your Linux server or inside a virtual machine.
This is the list of packages you need to have available on your system that will run Hass.io if you are using Debian/Ubuntu:
To perform the Hass.io installation, run the following command as root:
$ curl -sL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/home-assistant/hassio-build/master/install/hassio_install | bash -s
When you use this installation method, the core SSH add-on may not function correctly. If that happens, use the community SSH add-on. Some of the documentation might not work for your installation either.
A detailed guide about running Hass.io as a virtual machine is available in the blog.