Home Assistant using the Home Assistant Operating System, is a managed environment. Which means you can’t use existing methods to enable the I2C bus on a Raspberry Pi.
If you’re attempting to add an external sensor, you will have to enable the I2C interface in the Home Assistant configuration using a USB stick.
You will need:
- USB drive
- A way to add files to the USB drive
- A way to connect the drive to your Raspberry Pi
Connect the USB drive to a device capable of adding and editing files to the USB drive.
Format a USB stick with FAT32/EXT4/NTFS and name the drive
- In the root of the USB drive add a folder called
- Inside that folder add a text file called
rpi-i2c.confwith the following contents:
- In the root of the USB drive add a file called
config.txtwith the following contents:
- Insert the USB drive into your Raspberry Pi.
- Now go to your Home Assistant web interface, in the sidebar click Supervisor > System.
- Now click
Import from USB.
- This will restart your Home Assistant instance, and load the new USB configuration.
When the service has restarted, you will have a working I2C interface.