The Hyperion integration allows you to integrate your Hyperion into Home Assistant. Hyperion is an open source Ambilight implementation which runs on many platforms.
Adding Hyperion to your Home Assistant instance can be done via the user interface, by using this My button:
Hyperion can be auto-discovered by Home Assistant. If an instance was found, it will be shown as “Discovered”, which you can select to set it up right away.
If there wasn’t any discovered automatically, don’t worry! You can set up a manual integration entry:
All configuration options are offered from the frontend. Choose
Options under the
relevant entry on the
- Priority: The priority for color and effects, make sure this is lower then the streaming sources priority in hyperion itself (typically lower than 200 is appropriate).
- Effects to hide: An optional selection of effects to hide from the light effects list. New effects added to the Hyperion server will be shown by default.
This integration supports multiple Hyperion instances running on a single Hyperion server. As instances are added/removed on the Hyperion UI, they will automatically be added/removed from Home Assistant.
The effect list is dynamically pulled from the Hyperion server. The following extra effects will be available:
- ‘Boblight Server’: Use a ‘Boblight Server’ configured in Hyperion.
- ‘Platform Capture’: Use a ‘Platform Capture’ grabber that is configured in Hyperion.
- ‘USB Capture’: Use a ‘USB Capture’ device that is configured in Hyperion.
- ‘Solid’: Use a solid color only.
A Hyperion camera entity is created that shows a stream of the input to Hyperion (e.g., a USB Capture device). This could be used to show a small “preview window” next to TV controls, for example.
Please note that only the currently live Hyperion priority can be streamed, and only streamable sources will actually stream content (e.g., USB Capture Devices will work, but static colors will not).
The Hyperion integration comes with a series of disabled-by-default entities for advanced usecases. These entities expose ‘raw’ underlying Hyperion API components for improved extensibility and interoperability which are particularly useful in cases where there are multiple Hyperion server clients (of which Home Assistant is one).
Provided advanced entities:
light.[instance]_priority: A “priority” light that acts exclusively on a given Hyperion priority. Only color/effects (and not components) are available in this light. Turning this light off will set a black color at this given priority rather than turning the light off in absolute terms.
switch.[instance]_component_[component]: A switch to turn on/off the relevant underlying Hyperion component as shown on the Hyperion server
Remote Controlpage under
Component Control. This allows fine grained control over sources (e.g.
USB Capture) and Hyperion functionality (e.g.
These entities may be enabled by visiting the
Integrations page, choosing the relevant
entity and toggling
Enable entity, followed by
To start Hyperion with an effect, use the following automation:
automation: - id: one alias: "Turn Hyperion effect on when light goes on" trigger: - platform: state entity_id: light.hyperion to: "on" action: - service: light.turn_on target: entity_id: light.hyperion data: effect: "Full color mood blobs"
To have the lights playing an effect when pausing, idle or turn off a media player like Plex you can use this example:
- alias: "Set hyperion effect after playback" trigger: - platform: state entity_id: media_player.plex to: "off" - platform: state entity_id: media_player.plex.plex to: "paused" - platform: state entity_id: media_player.plex.plex to: "idle" action: - service: light.turn_on target: entity_id: light.hyperion data: effect: "Full color mood blobs"
To capture the screen on a USB capture device, when playing something on a media_player, you can use this example:
- alias: "Set hyperion when playback starts" trigger: - platform: state entity_id: media_player.plex to: "playing" action: - service: light.turn_on target: entity_id: light.hyperion data: effect: "USB Capture"