generic camera platform allows you to integrate any IP camera or other URL into Home Assistant. Templates can be used to generate the URLs on the fly.
Home Assistant will serve the images via its server, making it possible to view your IP cameras while outside of your network. The endpoint is
To enable this camera in your installation, add the following to your
# Example configuration.yaml entry camera: - platform: generic still_image_url: http://188.8.131.52/jpg/image.jpg
- still_image_url (Required): The URL your camera serves the image on, eg. http://192.168.1.21:2112/. Can be a template.
- name (Optional): This parameter allows you to override the name of your camera.
- username (Optional): The username for accessing your camera.
- password (Optional): The password for accessing your camera.
authentication (Optional): Type for authenticating the requests
- limit_refetch_to_url_change (Optional): True/false value (default: false). Limits re-fetching of the remote image to when the URL changes. Only relevant if using a template to fetch the remote image.
content_type (Optional): Set the content type for the IP camera if it is not a jpg file (default:
image/svg+xmlto add a dynamic svg file.
- framerate (Optional): The number of frames-per-second (FPS) of the stream (setting this too high may cause too much traffic on the network or be heavy on the camera).
In this section you find some real life examples of how to use this camera platform.
camera: - platform: generic name: Weather still_image_url: https://www.yr.no/place/Norway/Oslo/Oslo/Oslo/meteogram.svg content_type: 'image/svg+xml'
You can show a static image with this platform. Just place the image here:
camera: - platform: generic name: Some Image still_image_url: https://127.0.0.1:8123/local/your_image.png
If you are running more than one Home Assistant instance (let’s call them the ‘host’ and ‘receiver’ instances) you may wish to display the camera feed from the host instance on the receiver instance. You can use the REST API to access the camera feed on the host (IP address 127.0.0.5) and display it on the receiver instance by configuring the receiver with the the following:
camera: - platform: generic name: Host instance camera feed still_image_url: https://127.0.0.5:8123/api/camera_proxy/camera.live_view