The Spotify media player integration lets you control your Spotify account playback and browse the Spotify media library from Home Assistant.
- An active Spotify account. A premium is not required, but recommended. Premium accounts can be controlled (pause, play, next, etc.), while free accounts can only be used for browsing and current playback status.
- Spotify compatible playback source device
- A Spotify Developer application. Instructions for that are in the next step.
For Home Assistant to communicate with Spotify, we need to create an application at Spotify using the Spotify Developer website. This will provide you with the Spotify application credentials Home Assistant needs to allow you to log in with your Spotify account.
- Log in to the Spotify Developer Dashboard.
- Visit the My Applications page.
- Click the CREATE AN APP button in the top right. Enter a name and description; feel free to use any name and description you like.
- Check the box to agree with the requirements and click the CREATE button to confirm the application creation.
- Spotify will now show the new application you have just created. Click on the EDIT SETTINGS button to configure it. You will need to make a final adjustment to this new application for it to work correctly.
Next, we need to set the “Redirect URI” to the following:
Please copy and paste the exact URL above. You do not have to change it.
Enter the above redirect URL into the “Redirect URI” field (marked as 1). and be sure to press the ADD button (marked as 2).
- Save the application settings by scrolling down the current page and clicking the SAVE button at the bottom left.
- You now have successfully created a Spotify application! Before we can start configuring Home Assistant, we need to grab the application credentials Home Assistant needs.
Click on the SHOW CLIENT SECRET button to reveal the client secret.
- The “Client ID” and “Client Secret” are the two pieces of information that Home Assistant needs to communicate with Spotify and is what we call: Application credentials.
You will need the “Client ID” and “Client Secret” during the Spotify integration setup process in Home Assistant.
You can now continue with the next chapter to configure the Spotify integration in Home Assistant.
If you don’t have My Home Assistant on your installation,
you can use
<HOME_ASSISTANT_URL>/auth/external/callback as the redirect URI
<HOME_ASSISTANT_URL> must be the same as used during the configuration/
Adding Spotify to your Home Assistant instance can be done via the user interface, by using this My button:
Spotify can be auto-discovered by Home Assistant. If an instance was found, it will be shown as “Discovered”, which you can select to set it up right away.
If there wasn’t any discovered automatically, don’t worry! You can set up a manual integration entry:
This integration supports multiple Spotify accounts at once. You don’t need to create another Spotify application in the Spotify Developer Portal. Multiple Spotify accounts can be linked to a single Spotify application.
You will have to add those accounts into the Users and Access section of your application in the Spotify Developer Portal.
To add an additional Spotify account to Home Assistant, go to the Spotify website, log out, and then repeat only the steps in the Configuration section.
To play media Spotify first needs a device selected for audio output known as the
# Example code to select an AV receiver as the output device service: media_player.select_source entity_id: media_player.spotify data: source: "Denon AVR-X2000"
The Spotify API cannot initiate playback to a device not already known to the Spotify API. The source list of available devices can be found in the Details section of the Spotify Media Player Control and the
source_list attribute in the Developer Tools States.
You can send playlists to Spotify using the
"media_content_type": "playlist", which is part of the
media_player.play_media service, for example:
# Example script to play playlist script: play_jazz_guitar: sequence: - service: media_player.play_media target: entity_id: media_player.spotify data: media_content_id: "https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5xddIVAtLrZKtt4YGLM1SQ?si=YcvRqaKNTxOi043Qn4LYkg" media_content_type: playlist
media_content_id value can be obtained from the Spotify desktop app by clicking on the more options (”…”) next to the album art picture, selecting “Share” and then “Copy Spotify URI” or “Copy Playlist Link” (also available in the Spotify phone and web app). Alternatively a Spotify URI string (e.g.
spotify:playlist:5xddIVAtLrZKtt4YGLM1SQ) can be supplied for the
- Sonos: Although Sonos is a Spotify Connect device, it is not supported by the official Spotify API.