To add the iBeacon Tracker integration to your Home Assistant instance, use this My button:
If the above My button doesn’t work, you can also perform the following steps manually:
iBeacons are Bluetooth-enabled devices that advertise identifiers to announce their location. For example, an iBeacon attached to a trash can can be used to determine if the trash can is in the garage or on the street. Home Assistant can estimate the distance of an iBeacon device in proximity to the nearest Bluetooth adapter.
iBeacon devices will be automatically detected and added as they are discovered once the integration has been added via the UI and the Bluetooth integration is enabled and functional.
iBeacon Devices are tracked by a combination of the following data:
- UUID (universally unique identifier) is a 128-bit identifier that is generally set the same for all iBeacons at the same physical location.
- Major is an integer to differentiate between iBeacons with the same UUID.
- Minor is an integer to differentiate between iBeacons with the same UUID and Major value.
- MAC address (except for devices with a randomized MAC address)
Consider setting up your iBeacons with a schema similar to the following:
- uuid=UUID major=1000 minor=1000 Downstairs Front Room
- uuid=UUID major=1000 minor=1001 Downstairs Bathroom
- uuid=UUID major=2000 minor=1001 Upstairs Main Bedroom
- uuid=UUID major=2000 minor=1002 Upstairs Guest Bedroom
- uuid=UUID major=3000 minor=1000 Attic
iBeacon devices that do not have stable Major and Minor values are not supported. The system automatically removes iBeacon devices with unstable Major and Minor values once ten (10) or more Major and Minor values have been seen with the same UUID from an iBeacon device with a fixed MAC address.
Due to various factors such as individual system settings and iBeacon firmware, iBeacons will not be marked as “Away” immediately. This could take several minutes.
iBeacons with a fixed MAC address will get their own set of entities for each UUID, major, minor, and MAC address combination, enabling distance and presence detection per physical device basis. In this type of setup, it is permissible to have multiple iBeacons broadcasting the same UUID, Major, and Minor combination as long as you do not exceed five devices.
iBeacons with a randomized MAC address will be combined into a single set of entities once the integration discovers the same UUID, Major, and Minor combination has been seen coming from 10 or more MAC addresses. This allows distance and presence detection based on the last reporting data. When using randomized MAC addresses, only one device must broadcast the unique UUID, Major, and Minor combination.
The integration will create an Estimated Distance sensor by default. This estimated distance assumes perfect RF conditions and line of sight between the iBeacon and the Bluetooth adapter. Estimated distance is generally only helpful to tell if the iBeacon is in the immediate vicinity, near, or far away from the adapter. If the system has multiple adapters, the adapter with the best RSSI value for the iBeacon will be the one reporting the distance. As this can change, checking the source attribute when considering the distance is essential.
To get the Estimated distance sensor to work, in most cases, it has to be calibrated in the supplier’s app. Place the device at 1m in line of sight of the Bluetooth adapter, read the signal strength in dBm, and set it in the corresponding field of the device app.
- Blue Charm Beacons BC-U1-USB-Powered-MultiBeacon
- Blue Charm Beacons BC011-MultiBeacon
- Blue Charm Beacons BC021-MultiBeacon
- Blue Charm Beacons BC037G-GeoPattern-iBeacon
- Blue Charm Beacons BC037S-SmoothPattern-iBeacon
- Blue Charm Beacons BC08-MultiBeacon
- Blue Charm Beacons BC037G-GeoPattern-iBeacon (discontinued)
- Blue Charm Beacons BC037S-SmoothPattern-iBeacon (discontinued)
- Chipolo ONE Spot
- Blue SLIM ID
- Feasycom FSC-BP103B
- Feasycom FSC-BP104D
- Feasycom FSC-BP108
- MikroTik TG-BT5-IN (Additional sensors such as angle or impact are not compatible)
- NRF51822 iBeacon
- NRF52810 iBeacon
- Pawscout Tag
- SwiftFinder (Requires being paired to a phone first before it starts transmitting once a minute, otherwise it stays asleep)
- Teltonika EYE Teltonika EYE Sensor (Additional sensors such as accelerometer, temperature, and humidity are not compatible)
alias: "The black trash can has left the building" mode: single trigger: - platform: state entity_id: sensor.black_trash_bin_estimated_distance to: "unavailable" for: hours: 0 minutes: 5 seconds: 0 - platform: numeric_state entity_id: sensor.black_trash_bin_estimated_distance for: hours: 0 minutes: 5 seconds: 0 above: 20 action: - service: notify.notify data: message: "The black trash can has left the building" title: "The black trash can has left the building"