The Crownstone integration allows you to control your Crownstones either via the cloud or using a Crownstone USB dongle.
The Crownstone integration supports the following Crownstone devices:
- Crownstone Plug (This can be plugged directly into an existing power outlet)
- Crownstone Built-In One (This can be put behind power outlets, lamp fixtures, or switches)
Adding Crownstone to your Home Assistant instance can be done via the user interface, by using this My button:
If the above My button doesn’t work, you can also perform the following steps manually:
Options for Crownstone can be set via the user interface, by taking the following steps:
- Browse to your Home Assistant instance.
- In the sidebar click on Settings.
- From the configuration menu select: Devices & Services.
- If multiple instances of Crownstone are configured, choose the instance you want to configure.
- Click on “Options”.
Enabling this option will launch a flow, which will allow you to configure a Crownstone USB dongle. Disabling this option will remove current configuration.
Crownstones have the ability to dim, however dimming is disabled by default. To enable dimming for a Crownstone:
- Go to your Crownstone app
- Tap on a Crownstone that you want to enable the dimming functionality
- Tap on Abilities
- Toggle Dimming on
When you have changed an ability through the Crownstone app, the change will be automatically updated in Home Assistant. Note that Home Assistant will reload the entry when dimming is changed.
Enabling dimming is at own risk. It is recommended to only use dimming on lights.
The default connection method of the Crownstone integration is Cloud Polling. However, a Crownstone USB is available. Instead of switching and dimming Crownstones using the Cloud, this dongle hooks directly into the Crownstone mesh to switch Crownstones, which means the latencies are really low.
Furthermore, the Crownstone USB dongle allows for independent switching of Crownstones. When using the Cloud, a smartphone must be in the Sphere to switch the Crownstone.