Pick your flavor
This flagship version of Home Assistant Yellow is ready to go out of the box.
It comes pre-assembled in a custom enclosure with a Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4 (CM4) and a custom heat sink for fanless, silent operation. The CM4 is a version without wireless and has 2 GB RAM and 16 GB eMMC storage. Pre-installed with Home Assistant.
To get started, just plug in the power supply and the Ethernet cable. The cables are included in the box. This variant does not have Power-over-Ethernet.
Some assembly required! This kit supports Power-over-Ethernet (PoE) but is otherwise almost the same as the flagship version. Custom enclosure, custom heat sink, and Ethernet cable included. Without the Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4.
Not included: You must provide your own Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4 and install Home Assistant on it. This allows you to pick the compute module with the memory and eMMC storage to fit your needs. This kit also does not include a power supply (because power comes from PoE). The router or switch must supply Power-over-Ethernet. Typically, PoE capable ports are labelled as such.
Some assembly required! This kit is almost the same as the flagship version. Custom enclosure, custom heat sink, and Ethernet cable included. Without the Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4.
Not included: You must provide your own Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4 and install Home Assistant on it. This allows you to pick the compute module with the memory and eMMC storage to fit your needs. This kit comes with a power supply, but does not support Power-over-Ethernet.
We spend a lot of time and resources on fine-tuning our products. We want other people to be able to study our work and be able to make their own great smart home products. For this reason, we've released the schematics of Home Assistant Yellow as open-source. Explore the board and view the source.
Buying a Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4 (CM4)
If you bought the Home Assistant Yellow Kit, you need to bring your own Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4.
A chip shortage still impacts the availability of the CM4. Our recommendation is to use rpilocator. This website tracks the stock of official Raspberry Pi distributors. Follow them on X and enable push notifications. You will be notified as soon as the bot tweets that products are in stock.
We recommend purchasing a Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4 with the following characteristics:
- Min. 2 GB of RAM.
- Min. 16 GB of eMMC flash space.
- If you opt for the CM4 Lite: as it does not have an eMMC module, you must use an NVMe SSD hard drive. Some users reported that following SSDs are not working on the Home Assistant Yellow.
Carrier board for Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4 (CM4)
- CM4 board-to-board connector
- Supports direct boot from NVMe devices (e.g., for CM4 Lite)
- 12 cm x 12 cm
- Compatible with all 32 variants of CM4
- Quad-core Cortex-A72 (ARMv8) 64-bit / 1.5 GHz
- Up to 8 GB RAM
- Up to 32 GB eMMC
- Regulatory approval does not cover wireless variants
Integrated smart-home wireless (Silicon Labs MGM210P Mighty Gecko Module)
- Supports Zigbee 3.0, OpenThread, and Matter
- 2.4 GHz radio with TX power up to +20 dBm
- 1024 KB flash program memory, 96 KB RAM data memory
- Pre-installed with Zigbee 3.0 firmware (EZSP), can be upgraded
- Expansion slot
- For NVMe SSDs (M-Key)
- M.2 socket M-Key
- Supports 2230, 2242, 2260, and 2280 modules
- PCIe x1
- Note: Google Coral AI Accelerator not working, details in this issue
- Gigabit Ethernet
- 2 x USB 2.0 Type-A host port
- 1 x USB-C 2.0 device port (Silicon Labs CP2102N USBXpress USB bridge)
- UART mode (default): debug USB-to-serial adapter
- USB mode: CM4 USB 2.0 interface for USB recovery
- High-quality stereo audio DAC
- 2 V RMS line-out on 3.5 mm audio jack
- SNR 106 dB
- 2 x Push button
- Red: Factory reset
- Blue: To be determined
- RTC backed by CR2032 battery
- Status LEDs (can be powered off during regular operation)
- Red: Power
- Green: Disk usage
- Yellow: Home Assistant system state
- 12 V / 2 A through barrel DC power jack (5.5 mm x 2.1 mm)
- Ethernet: PoE+ IEEE 802.3at-2009 Class 3 or 4 (selectable via jumper)
- Typical power usage
- Idle ~1.5 W
- Idle with NVMe ~2.5 W
- Load ~5-9 W
- 123 mm x 123 mm x 36 mm
- Translucent injection-molded polycarbonate plastic
- Tool-free assembly
- Accommodates custom heat sink (included)